Gas and Electricity Help

Need some help with your Unicom gas or electricity service? Find the most frequently asked questions and answers below. If you are unable to find your answer please contact our Customer Service team on 0161 871 1090.

Will I get billed quarterly?

No. You will be billed monthly, which allows you to check your bills more regularly and spreads the cost out more evenly over the year.

How is monthly direct debit calculated?

As with your current supplier, the industry will inform us how much gas and electricity your premises used during the last 12 months. This will be the basis for calculating your monthly payments. Your meter will be read at least twice a year and adjustments will be made based upon these readings wherever necessary. You can also submit your own meter readings towards the end of each month to ensure your bill is accurate.

How much VAT will I pay?

If your usage for the period is below the de minimis threshold (33kWh/day for electricity, 145kWh/day for gas) then you will automatically pay the reduced rate of 5% VAT. Where your usage for the period is above this, the standard VAT rate of 20% would apply. If you run your business from a residential property and your usage is above the threshold, we can apply both the 5% VAT for your domestic usage and 20% for your business usage. You simply need to complete and return the declaration certificate.

Who reads my meter now and who will read it in future?

We will organise for your meter to be read around your start date. Your meter will be read at least twice a year to ensure you receive accurate bills and you are welcome to provide us with your own meter readings.

I am an existing customer and I would like to provide a meter reading?

Simply call us with your up to date reading and we will apply it to your account. Your charges will be amended for your following invoice.

What is Climate Change Levy?

Climate Change Levy has been introduced by the Government and is imposed on all businesses. The levy has been established to respond to global warming and all suppliers charge the same rate.

Do I have to pay Climate Change Levy?

All businesses must pay Climate Change Levy irrespective of who supplies you unless you can produce a Climate Change Levy exemption certificate. Only charities and some horticultural societies will qualify for exemption. Your local tax office can provide further details if appropriate.

CCL rates applicable from 1 April 2017 are:

Electricity – 0.568ppkWh

Gas – 0.198ppkWh

The levy is subject to VAT.

What is the Feed-in Tariff?

The Feed-in Tariff (FiT) scheme was introduced by the government to encourage the adoption of renewable energy sources in homes and businesses. To fund the scheme, electricity suppliers pass through a FiT charge onto the unit rates billed. All our unit rates quoted are inclusive of Feed-in tariff charges.

What are the emergency contact details for gas?

If you have a gas emergency or you can smell gas, please call National Grid (formerly Transco) on 0800 111999.

What are the emergency contact details for all local distributors of electricity?

Electricity supply number Distributor Emergency/Supply Loss (24 hour)
             10 UK Power Networks 0800 783 8838
             11 Western Power Distribution 0800 056 8090
             12 UK Power Networks 0800 028 0247
             13 Scottish Power Energy Networks 0845 272 2424
             14 Western Power Distribution 0800 328 1111
             15 Northern Powergrid 0800 668 877
             16 Electricity North West 0800 195 4141
             17 Scottish Hydro Electric Power Distribution 0800 300 999
             18 Scottish Power Energy Networks 0845 272 7999
             19 UK Power Networks 0800 783 8866
             20 Scottish Electric Power Distribution 0800 072 7282
             21 Western Power Distribution 0800 052 0400
             22 Western Power Distribution 0800 365 900
             23 Northern Powergrid 0800 375 675